Link Aadhaar with Voter ID. The government of India has started a new campaign to link Aadhaar cards with voter ID cards to track and deactivate fraudulent and bogus voter ID cards. The process of Aadhaar-voter ID card seeding is also referred to as EPIC (Electoral Photo Identification Card). All Indians above the age of 18 years are granted the right to vote in elections on the basis of one person, one vote. However, some entities abuse this privilege and have multiple voter ID cards issued in the name of a single individual. In order to eradicate this menace, the Government has taken the step of linking an individual’s voter ID card (known as EPIC) with their Aadhaar card.
The Aadhaar card is a unique ID issued to an individual that is valid throughout the individual’s lifetime. As an Aadhaar card requires an individual’s biometric information such as their fingerprint and iris scan, an individual can have only one Aadhaar number issued to them. Thus, linking Aadhaar with the EPIC is an effective way to get rid of bogus or multiple voter ID cards in a single individual’s name.
Process for link Aadhaar with Voter ID online
To link your Aadhaar card with your Voter ID through the NVSP portal, kindly follow the steps below:
- Visit the official NVSP website run by the Government of India and log in with your registered mobile number.
- After logging in on the left-hand side of the screen, an “information of Aadhaar number by Existing Electors” option will be visible.
- Click on it, whereupon a pop-up window will appear. Where you will have to fill in your name as per your Aadhaar card, your EPIC number, your Aadhaar number, and your registered mobile number or registered email address.
- After correctly entering the information, click “submit”.
- A notification will appear on the screen informing you that your application to link Aadhaar and EPIC was registered successfully.
Link Aadhaar Card to Voter ID through SMS
Voters can also link their Aadhaar number to voter ID by:
- Send an SMS from your registered mobile number.
- The SMS has to be sent to 166 or 51969.
- The format of the message is ECILINK<SPACE><EPIC No.>< SPACE><Aadhaar No.>
Link Aadhaar with Voter ID EPIC through Phone
The government of India has established many call centers in different states in the country. The voters need to make a phone call to 1950 and provide their voter ID details along with their Aadhaar numbers.
- Various camps are also organized from time to time to provide this facility to the citizens in their localities.
- Hand over self-attested copies of Aadhaar and voter ID to your BLO.
- You will be intimated by your BLO on successful Aadhaar voter ID linking.
What are the Benefits of linking Aadhaar with Voter ID?
When voter ID is linked to Aadhaar, a migrant with a valid Aadhaar can prove her identity, wherever she is. This would enable her to become a voter where she is currently resident and, when systems mature, to vote in her home constituency. However, to the extent that the linking of voter ID with Aadhaar is voluntary and not mandatory, it blocks the second potential benefit. There have been instances when voters find, when they turn up at the polling booth, that their vote has already been cast, clearly by someone posing as them. This kind of fraud can be controlled by seeding the voter registration with Aadhaar.
However, the linking is not mandatory, so Aadhaar can no longer guard against fraud. But it also means that those who are critical of the move and call it a violation of fundamental rights and an invasion of their privacy can opt-out of this linkage. However, all the potential benefits from linking voter ID and Aadhaar depend on flawless systems. Fingerprint readers that fail because of defective equipment, blurred prints on chafed fingers, faulty data connectivity, or server error cannot come between a voter and her right.
Importance of Voter ID
There is much importance of Voter ID as mentioned below:
- It acts as a document and proof of identity.
- It acts as an acknowledgment that you are a registered voter.
- It is proof that you are a citizen of India.
- It helps to eliminate fraudulent voting.
- In the case of no fixed residence, it also functions as a proof of address.
Value of Aadhaar Card
The Aadhaar program was launched with the main objective of providing a universal identity to every Indian resident. People can now get the card with ease as its acceptance as a mandatory document for various initiatives has been officially made. In addition to this, it will help in reducing corruption since every individual carries only one unique number. Considering the increasing acceptance of Aadhaar cards, it is a must for everyone to get them issued. It is believed that the card will be given more importance as more and more government schemes are being launched requiring it as a mandatory document.
Readers, it is important to link Aadhaar with Voter ID. As it helps to remove bogus or multiple Voter ID cards issued in the name of a single individual. Once you link Aadhaar with Voter ID, only a single vote can be cast per election. The seeding process will thereby ensure fair elections by eliminating bogus voters. Please like and share our articles with friends and on social media. Please subscribe to our article by clicking on the One-Signal Push Notification bell icon. You all viewers will get a more important information article in the near future by lifeinawind.com.